The first time we encountered this dessert our interest was immediately peaked. It was on the menu of a well reviewed restaurant, yet we were certain it wasn’t going to dessert-y enough to be satisfying. Still, curiosity prevailed, and we decided to try it, and boy were we glad we did. It’s creamy, chocolatey, incredibly delicious, and nutritious, which is something few desserts can claim. Even better, it super easy to make at home, and makes a great to-go dessert for picnics, school and work lunches, or anytime you need a little something that tastes divinely decadent, but isn’t.
Makes 4 servings
- 4 large soft ripe Hass avocados, cubed
- 6 tablespoons dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate, melted
- 1.5 cups milk of your choosing
- 1/4 cup tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash of salt, or sea salt (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- Add the avocados to a blender or food processor, along with the cocoa powder, melted chocolate, milk, maple syrup or honey, vanilla extract and salt.
- Blend until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary.
- Serve immediately, or chilled.
- Top with your favorite fruit, more chocolate, or leave it as is.
Add some to a Buy LunchBots 4 oz. Round Now! for a go-anywhere sweet treat!
Be sure to use Hass avocados. They’re the knobbly ones with very dark color skin. Florida avocados (the ones that are bright green and smooth) have a definite vegetal taste that doesn’t work well in this recipe.
Use soft ripe avocados in order to achieve the desired smoothness. See the guide below: