How to Create Your Own Yogurt Flavor Using Plain or Vanilla Yogurt
It seems like there’s a yogurt flavor for everything lately, from chocolate cheesecake to key lime pie, but I’m still not convinced that these options are any better than the flavors I create at home and pack for my kids in our leak proof 8 oz. Rounds containers.
By purchasing a large container of plain or vanilla yogurt, some fresh fruits, and other toppings, we get to create a healthier version that doesn’t contain an excess amount of sugar, artificial flavors, and artificial colors. Plus, we save money and reduce our waste by portioning the larger amounts into smaller containers instead of using the single serving packs.
Creating your own yogurt flavors is also something that’s fun for everyone—the combinations are endless and can be specially made for all tastes. Here are a few favorites my family has been enjoying:
Top 7 DIY Yogurt Flavors to Pack in LunchBots Rounds
1. The Cocoa-nut: For those of us with a sweet tooth, the combination of chocolate chips and coconut flakes indulge the tastebuds without going overboard on sugar. Ingredients: Vanilla yogurt, semi-sweet chocolate chips, coconut flakes.
2. The Elvis Special: This would have been the flavor of choice for the king. Ingredients: Plain yogurt, bananas, honey, and crushed peanuts.
3. Pumpkin Pie: A year-round treat that’s extra special for Fall, this creamy combination has all the flavors of your favorite pumpkin pie, plus plenty of protein and antioxidants from the cinnamon. Ingredients: Plain yogurt, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, and a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg.
4. Pina Colada: Not just for tropical vacations, the unique flavors of a pina colada mix perfectly with yogurt. Chunks of fresh fruit give added texture and a burst of sweetness without artificial flavoring. Ingredients: Plain yogurt, crushed pineapple, coconut flakes.
5. The PB & J: This yogurt version of a classic, favorite sandwich makes for a great kids’ breakfast or mid-afternoon snack. Serve it with a glass of milk to top it all off. Ingredients: Plain yogurt, nuts, and dried cranberries.
6. The Fresh-Picked Apple: Nothing says fall quite like the smell of apples and cinnamon. The creamy texture of yogurt gives this combination an extra refreshing twist. Ingredients: Plain yogurt, apples, cinnamon, and maple syrup.
7. Berry Bonanza: Though it changes with the seasons, this recipe is delicious year-round. A twist on strawberries and whipped cream, it combines berries with delicious vanilla yogurt. Ingredients: Vanilla yogurt, blackberries, and strawberries.
What yogurt flavor would you create?